As someone who lives all alone (except, of course – for my pets Precious and Lucky Number Seven) and who up until a couple of weeks ago was out more often than not – grocery shopping was always a frustrating experience for me. I really, really dislike wasting food – but I constantly found myself having food leftover that was, how do I say, umm…not-so-fresh. Not to mention the fact that most items are sold in larger quantities than a solo gal would need. *fights air*
Fact: In North America, 40% of the fresh, perishable food we buy in grocery stores gets thrown out.
So when I decided to make the conscious effort to eat healthier and start cooking more at home – I was a bit overwhelmed at first. I didn’t have the time to scour Pinterest for recipes, let alone go out shopping for heaps of groceries. So – what’s a gal to do? Well lucky for me, my friends at Chef’s Plate reached out with an amazing solution.
Redefining the Way Canadians Eat
Chef’s Plate was born from the idea that we believe cooking quick, healthy and exciting meals at home should be more accessible. But it comes with too many hassles. We know you’re busy, and if you’re anything like us, your busy routine leaves little time to decide what to cook, find recipes, hunt for ingredients and put a great meal on the table.
Chef’s Plate‘s mission is to make cooking fun again by eliminating the hassle. Chef’s Plate sends out flavour-packed meal kits designed their very own Executive Chef. These meal kits include all the pre-portioned fresh ingredients and easy to read and follow recipe cards, to make a gourmet meal in 30 minutes or less. Perfect for my busy schedule!
How Chef’s Plate Works
1. Discover recipes you’ll love
- Each week they release 6 new recipes which include a variety of healthy meat, seafood and vegetarian options.
- Their recipes are designed by Executive Chef Jason Rosso and take 30 minutes or less from box to table.
2. Select your Chef’s Plate plan
- Choose from their 3 weekly plans and you’ll receive box of fresh, seasonal and pre-portioned ingredients with detailed recipes cards.
- Enjoy weekly deliveries featuring new delicious recipes based on the taste preferences you select at checkout. Seamlessly edit your meal selection for the week or skip any delivery up until the cut-off before your scheduled delivery.
- All plans have no commitment so you can skip or cancel at any time.
3. We deliver all the ingredients
- Deliveries occur every Monday or Tuesday, depending on your area. If Mondays or Tuesdays are no good for your hectic schedule, we also deliver on Thursdays or Fridays (depending on your area).
- Most customers will receive their box by 6 PM. Don’t worry if you’re not home — your ingredients will stay fresh in your refrigerated box for up to 12 hours after the expected delivery time.
- Once they’re in the fridge, your meals will stay fresh for 4-5 days.
Chef’s Plate delivers chef-inspired recipes AND pre-portioned ingredients right to your door. You choose how many servings per meal you want (two or four) and how many meals per week you’d like. I went for the two portions (lunch leftovers are the bomb dot com, am I right?!) and three meals. After browsing the site for a little while, checking out the weekly recipes available – I made my selections and boom – easy peasy lemon squesy, we were in business.
On delivery day – my Chef’s Plate delivery got delivered in a box, which housed an insulated bag – and within that bag were individual bags for each separate recipe. Everything was perfectly portioned out making it super duper easy to prepare each recipe. And – bonus – no leftover ingredients to waste away in the fridge!
Along with the perfectly portioned food, each recipe came on a detailed recipe card. With easy to read, step-by-step instructions – each of the three chef-inspired Chef’s Plate recipes I received were so easy to make that even a beginner cook (cough, cough – me) could master them. From my mustard crusted steak pictured above, to the honey sriracha chicken, and even the tofu pad thai – I was pleasantly surprised at how easy each recipe was to follow.
Bonus – if you’re hesitant, you can see the level of difficulty for each recipe on the Chef’s Plate website before you order them.
If you’re interested in learning more – check out Chef’s Plate website. But be warned – when you look at their menus, I can’t guarantee you won’t drool on your screen. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.