I don’t know about you, but as the days get shorter, and the weather gets colder – all I crave is good old fashioned comfort food. And one of my (and Mike’s) all-time favourite comfort foods is most certainly a classic – chicken pot pie.
But after a long day at the office – the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen, hunched over a stove cooking. I mean, I always have a glass of wine in hand while cooking…but even that’s not enough motivation for me to spend hours in the kitchen on an average Tuesday night. So that’s when I start looking for quick and easy alternatives to some of the classics, and I recently found a recipe that’s now a new favourite in our house!
Easy Peasy Stove-Top Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe is not only easy – but it’s also quick. Using a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken really cuts back on cooking time. Seriously – with prep and everything, we were seated with a piping hot bowl of deliciousness within 40 minutes. I made some slight modifications to the one I found online, and like I said – it’s a new favourite in our house…especially on those cold days. Which, if you’re living up here in Toronto like us – are quickly approaching!
1 tube Pillsbury biscuits
1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup whole milk (I used 2% and it worked just fine)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup carrots (we sliced our finely)
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 cup frozen peas
— Jenn (@JennAndTheCity) October 31, 2017
- Prepare the biscuits according to the package instructions.
- In a large mason jar, mix together the chicken stock, milk, flour, and poultry seasoning. Shake well.
- Cook the carrots, onion, and butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the vegetables are softened. This should only take 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly (s-l-o-w-l-y) whisk in the milk and broth mixture, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer – stirring often. This is when it will all thicken up, so make sure you keep stirring for 6-8 minutes.
- Mix in the shredded chicken and frozen peas and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until everything is warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve topped with the biscuits.
Bing. Bang. Boom. That’s it! This Easy Peasy Stove-Top Chicken Pot Pie is ready to be devoured!
Let me know if you try the recipe out, or if you have any suggestions on how to modify it!